Summary of Position:
Provide short-term, goal-directed Behavioral Health assessments in a local hospital emergency department, coordinates and communicates with emergency department staff, and facilitates referral of appropriate patients to Portage Path Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES) or other facilities.
1. Formal Education Required:
a. Undergraduate degree in Psychology, Social Work, Counseling or related field. Masters Degree (preferred) in Social Work, Counseling or Psychology.
b. Active LSW, LISW, LPC, LPCC in the State of Ohio.
2. Experience and Training Required:
a. At least 2 years experience in the mental health field.
b. At least 1 year of experience in a crisis or emergency mental health setting.
3. Other Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
a. Population-Specific Competency: Ability to effectively interact with patients/customers with the understanding of their needs for self-respect and dignity
b. Crisis triage and intervention
c. De-escalation interventions
d. Ability to interact and communicate effectively with a variety of healthcare providers
e. Behavioral Health treatment modalities
f. Interpersonal/human relations skills
g. Verbal and written communication skills
h. Ability to prioritize duties
i. Ability to monitor effectiveness through pre-established performance goals
The following essential functions will be carried out in a manner entirely consistent with Portage Path’s mission, values and philosophies, and those of our hospital partners
- Learn and communicate the workings of PES
- Provide crisis intervention, support, information and referral to patients in the partner hospital’s Emergency Department.
- Conduct psychosocial assessment and standardized screening measures on patients in the Emergency Department, and make disposition recommendations based on outcomes.
- Complete follow-up calls to assess progress, barriers and goals.
- Develop and foster collaboration with medical staff in the emergency department, and with staff at PES.
- Provide consultation with medical professionals regarding symptoms of mental illness and addiction.
- Complete documentation within identified medical record according to policies associated with the Emergency Department.
- Build and maintain relationships with community agencies, state behavioral health organizations and local hospitals with behavioral health units.
- Achieve relevant productivity and data tracking standards established by the program.
Multiple shifts to be filled – full or part-time including weekend and evening hours. Full-time pay is in the range of $25 to $31 per hour depending on experience and licensure.